Question:
In your opinion, why is poetry less popular these days?
folkfairyfluffy
2007-05-01 00:05:26 UTC
In your opinion, why is poetry less popular these days?
Seven answers:
2007-05-01 00:28:44 UTC
For two reasons, largely:

One, poetry is a more abstract art form that requires more in depth analysis to draw meaning than most prose calls for. Reading Donne or Eliot requires 2-5 reads on average for me to come to any conclusion about what's being said. In a culture where writers like Palahniuk have become the popular reads, there's no doubt that a lot of people just aren't up to the challenge of interpreting poetry.

Two, poetry today, to me at least, seems diluted. It's become the cookie-cutter medium of angsty teenagers and noncommittal revolutionists who seem to insist that it must be written and read in monotone or in a way

reminiscent of

early

Shatner.

I don't doubt the genre will see a revival, though.
PATRICIA D
2007-05-01 00:52:47 UTC
It may seem like it is but, in my opinion, I'd go check out some local play rehearsels,colleges and coffeehouses that conduct poetry readings on a regular daily basis. Pretty cool, huh?

Besides, it's very much alive and well these days in the music we listen to. I think that poetry can be more than words; it can be a thought, the certain way we concieve a moment, hang on to it as long as we can and release it's energy back out, but now it retains a part of you and that, in my opinion, is a most definate form of poetry, then, now and constant.
woman in the well
2007-05-01 00:21:29 UTC
I think one of the reasons is that there are just a lot of crap being marketed as poetry these days! Loads and loads of people seem to think that putting their feelings into paper in a poem format makes it poetry! Most of the poetry nowadays lack the ability to invoke feelings in other readers (or at least what's left of the reading public). On a different note, one could argue that poetry, from time immemorial has not really been quite that popular....
2007-05-01 00:13:50 UTC
No, It is just interpreted differently and although the masses enjoy quick entertainment since they don't have to work 18 hours a day just to support themselves and their family, it does transfer occaisionally into movies and music. The medium may be taking away the magic on paper, but it is not lost. Just the people today.
2007-05-01 00:21:33 UTC
no, i don't so, although i agree certain branches of poetry are not taken very encouragingly by people. But, despite all that, lyrics used in songs are getting very famous.

and unlike any other century lyrics are now reaching to whole world, like we all listen U2 etc.
2007-05-01 00:09:26 UTC
I think people want 'easy' and poetry forces you to think.
2007-05-01 00:11:38 UTC
Because of the medias and useless cine songs.