Question:
I'm curious: For you, does writing soothe a psychological pain, or...?
Mikisew
2007-05-10 07:10:42 UTC
... is it a means of communicating something else? I keep having this thought/quotation echo through my head (dunno where from): "Are you a writer who can write only when it's raining?"
Ten answers:
Sophist
2007-05-10 09:14:53 UTC
When something is on my mind or a word or a phrase that tangles my thinking, I have to write and rid myself of it.
2007-05-10 20:57:11 UTC
I wouldn't say writing soothes a particular psychological pain, for me...but maybe that writing scratches a psychological itch.

I have processed pain through my writing, but I process every emotion through writing.

William Stafford defines a writer as, "not so much someone who has something to say

as someone who has found a process that will bring about new things he would not have thought of if he had not started to say them."
soxy190
2007-05-10 15:27:05 UTC
Writing serves multiply purposes for me. Predominantly soothing the pain but at times also celebrating the joys. A way of thinking and reflecting. Often better after a couple of red wines.
?
2007-05-10 16:16:10 UTC
All of us need to find balance. Very often we find partners

that display the qualities we wish we had. Writing about

inner angst is a form of self realization of it's existence.

Once it's on paper it's out. When the weather is gloomy and

there are no other options but to stay inside, there are no

distractions to your thought processes and it's easier

to write.
geehaw
2007-05-10 14:36:08 UTC
I think writing can be very cathartic...there's a word for you! And I feel that a lot of people who aren't necessarily writers are inclined to use writing as a way to express themselves purely for its psychological effect...hence, they only write when there's a problem in their life (when it rains). However, those of us who fancy themselves writers must find a way to draw on our creativity every day and write on, write on, write on...
?
2007-05-10 17:51:40 UTC
I write for a number of reasons: expression of self; emotional introspection; information; and (forgive my ego!) because I believe I'm skilled in the trade. I feel that fact or fiction is best expressed when a person puts pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard!) and allows, whatever the reason, outward expression of one's thoughts and feelings.

Later Daze! =)
Dave
2007-05-10 14:18:50 UTC
Writing is a way of escape.

It shows the other side of you, how you think, and what you know.

By reading anyones writing, you can learn what makes them mad, happy, and sad. You basically learn everything about the person, even if the story is nothing about them!
sideways
2007-05-10 15:55:53 UTC
It is a gift, to write serves a purpose for me. It allows the inside to come out.
2007-05-10 23:23:58 UTC
No actually. I find relating to somebody about issues that bother me to the best way to cope. But, this is only my opinion. I like to feel that I am not the only one in the world who feels this way.

I miss you.
2007-05-10 14:17:39 UTC
you can only write great work when miserable

that why my stuff is dreadful